The first info session for Ecogastronomy: Food Cultures of Italy will be Thursday, November 21. College Hall 137 (Western Washington University) at 4-5. Kindly spread the word.
Please note the following:
- EESP helps direct people to financial aid — over half the students have financial aid who enroll in the program.
- Excursions are not given in great detail, but they include in Tuscany: Chianti country, castle winery (with tasting and meal in the courtyard), hands-on ceramics/pottery classes, cooking classes, biological farm. An optional Switzerland excursion also is available (cost, additional).
- The weekend in between the two weeks of instruction and excursions is free, but sometimes we go as a group to Assisi, Perugia (this is another region — Umbria), or in Cinque Terra (region: Liguria) along the Italian riviera.
- Also included in the price are two optional field trips in Whatcom County and on Lopez Island, once we return.
- Additional credits are available (you can talk to me about this).
Some of the best feedback can be found here: VISIT GINA’S BLOG, THE COURSE DAY-BY-DAY: http://good4ugastronomy.blogspot.com/ and also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/629347747092601/
ENVS 437L: Ecogastronomy Intensive (10 credits)
Bellingham: June 15-16, 2014 (online option available)
Italy: June 22-July 6, 2013 (in Florence)
Optional excursion, Switzerland<http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/eesp/template/studyabroad/images/swiss_3DayExcursion.pdf>
This food studies course begins with a culinary intensive in Bellingham, also available online, then moves to Florence, Italy, where students study Italian and the food cultures of Toscany. Students also study in the University of Florence sensory taste sciences department.
Study is with renowned European faculty, Erminio Monteleone<http://www.e3sensory.eu/?page_id=213>,Caterina Dinella, as well as with Western professor, Gigi Berardi.<http://faculty.wwu.edu/gberardi/index.html>
Enrollment is limited to 20.
Register now<http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/eesp/template/studyabroad/cost_florence.shtml> to reserve your place! You can also receive graduate credits for this program. Additional credits are available through independent study (later in the 2013-2014 academic year). Courses can be repeated for credit. Those without prereqs can enroll in the program; all you need to do is contact Gigi<mailto:email@example.com>.